Looking for suitable job can be very time consuming and difficult. Job search strategies are constantly evolving with our new economy and global changes which makes it essential that you keep up with the changes and adapt your techniques to ensure that you don’t get left behind! You must define your strategy keeping in view the following :
1. DEFINE YOUR GOALS – What do you want to do and why? A Self-Assessment will assist you in narrowing down your search to 2-3 industries. Ask yourself a few critical questions.:
What unique skills and attributes do you offer?
What do you enjoy doing?
What skills do you want to use at work?
What is essential for you to enjoy work? Consider the opportunity for advancement, your need for flexibility and creative freedom, what work-life balance you want, and rewards (financial and other). What Goals are realistic for you considering your education, skills and experience?
2. RESEARCH YOUR OPTIONS – Locating the hidden job market : Once you have a sense of what work you want to do, research is necessary to determine where the employment opportunities are. Asking key question can narrow down your work search tremendously. 1. What type of work fits with your answers from the above questions? 2. Which businesses and organisation offer this type of work? 3. What are these employers looking for in an employee? 4. Who are the key people you need to network with?
3. CONTACT OPPORTUNITIES – Tapping into the hidden job market : Net working is very important, look around for different opportunities eg. events, exhibitions, meetings etc.
4. MARKETING – Make the most of your resume and cover letter! Resume must show your key skills and education with your attitude. :Through these carefully nurtured networking opportunities you will begin hearing about employment opportunities. When you hear about an exciting opportunity don’t wait for them to advertise it – go speak to someone in the company. At this time it is very important that you have the right ‘tools’ to demonstrate your interest. A well thought out and carefully worded cover letter and resume is imperative.
5. VOLUNTEERING – A proven stepping stone to paid employment :A key ingredient many students use to ensure a successful transition from school to work is volunteering. Through volunteering you have the opportunity to use the skills and knowledge you gain in school, you acquire job related skills and experience, you begin establishing a reputation in the community and you have the opportunity to meet key people. Volunteering is a proven stepping stone to paid employment.
All the very best, are you looking for advise for CV writing and Interview skills? contact us for personal consultation.