Do you know Boiling Frog Syndrome and how we can use it to sidestep relationship or career disaster.
If you place a frog in boiling water, it will immediately jump out of the pot. However, if you place a frog in a pot of cold or room temperature water that you heat slowly until it comes to a boil, the frog won’t notice until it’s too late and he eventually boils to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for how people deal with gradually detoriating situations and relationships. They continue compromising, untill one fine day their body can no more take any pressures. Boiling Frog Syndrome can create more serious situation la in our life if we dont take right step at the right time.
Take Putting on weight as an example, nobody decides to get fat, yet people will just keep on putting weight without doing anything. They keep on saying I will start very soon diet and exercise.
Similarly people get into addiction and wait for the last min warning from their body.
This Syndrom also trap people facing important career decision, changing job or business opportunity. Like the simmering frog they keep on hoping things will improve soon at the same time while they know they wont. They may complain about stress, feel bad but never take any action until they face a really bad situation or loose job, make loss and end up regretting about it. This Syndrom even apply to relationship, we continue to manage broken abusive relationships without giving any thought how it is impacting our mind.
As humanbeing our adaptability toward circumstances is quite high however we must avoid such serious situations in our life. Steps you may consider:
1. Talk to your own people, discuss and take charge of your life
2. step back from time to time and reflect back on the amount of adjustments and compromises you are doing unwilling in your career, relationships and business.
3. Regularly acknowledge your goals and targets, are they too high to achieve.
4. evaluate physical and emotional health in order to know when to jump out from situation and take necessary actions.
5. Smile and be away from perfectionist’s tag and labels.
6. Meditate and exercise regularly.